Friday 6 April 2012

Adventures in Baking

Behind the Oven Mitts, covered in Flour

Before I begin, we should get a few things straight:


1. I have no idea what I am doing. I have fooled a few people into thinking I am a true baker, with numerous, if not excessive, mobile uploads of desserts (such as the photo here, an attempt at Sprinkle Bake's infamous peanut butter cup chocolate cake) and the donning of adorable retro-inspired aprons. In reality, I fumble my way around the kitchen, making copious amounts of mess, and, somehow, sometimes, end up with an edible concoction. 


Sometimes... not so edible. 


I don't post photos of those. 


2. I am addicted to sweets. And when I say sweets, I mean really sweet sweets. This might be the most important thing to know before moving forward: I have no intentions of halving the suggested sugar in a recipe, or opting for a fat free option. Simply put, butter tastes better. If I am going to indulge in a dessert, which I do more than is suggested, I want one that is sweet, decadent, and, if this isn't asking too much, pretty to look at. 

3. I like making people happy. Nothing makes me happier than seeing someone I love looking happy too - especially when I have done something to help them feel that way! Nothing says happy like a smile, and nothing gets someone to smile quite like an absurdly delicious and mouth watering dessert. Unless they are on a diet... I avoid such people... so hard to please. 


So I started baking. With no family history of home-made cookies, no childhood lessons from mommy, or even much time logged in the kitchen, I found myself baking in secret, both compelled and embarrassed by my overly-motherly desire to feed people. It began with peanut butter cookies. Yes, the Kraft recipe. I was notorious for my oversized, under baked, and overall amazing peanut butter cookies. It helped that I stuffed them with anything from Reese's cups to Reese's pieces, and chocolate chunks (white, dark and milk, and often a combination of them all). They were my beginning, my very confidence-building entry into baking - I mean, really, what can go wrong when you have three ingredients? 


Perhaps I should make them again and take photos which actually do them justice. I owe them so much... I'm getting emotional just thinking about it! 


Now here I am, from humble beginnings of 1 cup of peanut butter, 1/2 a cup of sugar and an egg, to the first entry of a baking blog. Let the tasty games begin! 








No comments:

Post a Comment