Monday 9 April 2012

Lemon Cupcakes

Lemon Cupcakes - Lemon Lovers Only!

Lemon seems to be such a perfect spring flavour. It's light and tangy, and a beautiful bright yellow colour. Whenever I'm craving lemon, I usually make a lemon meringue pie but I thought today that I would make something even cuter than that - little lemon cup cakes!


It seems like the perfect thing to do on an Easter monday. Especially because it is gorgeous and sunny out!




Yes - little yellow lemon cupcakes will do! 


Now, I got this recipe from an adorable little cookbook by Hummingbird Bakery. And, when I say adorable, I really mean it. Every aspect of the book has a certain character to it - totally noticeable in the way they ice all of their cupcakes in the same carefree but completely perfect way. 


No piping - just an effortless swoop of an icing knife. 


Urgh. Icing envy. 


Anyways, so I used Hummingbird's recipe for the cake and the icing - both of which contain the perfect amount of lemon (a.k.a. a ton). 


I was just the tiniest bit concerned about the icing which tasted very much like what it was (butter, with a little bit of lemon) but it was the ideal sweet partner to balance out what I put in the middle of those cupcakes...


Martha Stewart's Lemon Curd! 


I have looked at her recipe a few times and now I definitely regret not using it before. All of this time I have been using a lemon recipe from All Recipes, which has gotten great reviews whenever I've made it (not to boast or anything!) but this lemon curd was dead on. 


And by dead on I mean the bestest, the greatest, the most perfect combination of lemon and butter and awesome sunshine, the someone-take-the-spoon-away-from-me, can't-stop-eating good. 


Thank you, Martha Stewart for all you do. 

Aside from the taste, the curd also had the texture I like. The one from All Recipes was a bit more gelatine-y then I thought was right. This curd though was almost creamy and delightfully soft. 


Don't be surprised if you see this one again. On everything I can possibly put it on. 


The gutting of the cupcakes. I had mixed emotions about this act. 


Throwing away the inside, the best part, of the cupcake? 


What am I doing?! 


I seriously had the urge to devour all of these little bits so they wouldn't go to waste.


Put the cupcake bits down. 


One day I will find something to do with these little guys. How does one make cake pops? 


Okay. It's on the to-do list. 


Now, insert lemon curd. 






Make delicious butter icing. 


Spread delicious butter icing. 


Garnish with yellow lego candy (as directed by 10 year old sister) and take artistic photo on Intagram. 


Done. 


Feeling accomplish.


Now - it's time to break into that bad boy and get me some lemon curd!




Oh.


So.


So. 


SO. 


Good. 








Ingredients

  • 3 large egg yolks, strained
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

Directions

  1. Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Set over medium heat, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan. Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
  2. Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, stirring with the wooden spoon until consistency is smooth.
  3. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming; wrap tightly. Let cool; refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.






















No comments:

Post a Comment