Monday 23 April 2012

Dark Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Dark Chocolate Crinkle Cookies - beautiful, inside and out




There is something so absolutely satisfying about the look of a crinkly cookie with its white coating cracked to show the deep chocolate colour underneath. I don't know what I like more, the crunchy, crackly, ice sugar-coated outside or the soft, rich, and unexpectedly-gooey inside. 


Must I choose? 


I think not. 


I found the recipe through Pinterest -again, because it's awesome. It's from Divine Baking and was apparently posted because the blogger has an obsession with her mixer. 


which I respect.


Before we get to the recipe, a completely FLOURLESS delight, allow me to show you what the cookies look like let-loose in the wild:



Oh wait - that's just a squishy little black bear covered in snow! Forgive me for confusing the two. 

Recipe:

2 oz bittersweet chocolate
2.5 oz unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cups chocolate chips (preferably unsweetened or bittersweet!) 
3 large egg whites
2 1/4 cups icing sugar (divide into 2 separate bowls)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bake for 10 minutes in the oven at 350 F, until they "puff" up. 

Lightly butter a large cookie sheet. 

Melt bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate in a heatproof bowl over top of a boiling pot of water. 

Beat egg whites on high until they form stiff peaks. Gradually add in 1 and 1/4 cups of icing sugar into the egg whites. Continue beating until they form a marshmallow-like cream. 

Whisk 1 cup icing sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl until fully blended. Slowly add dry ingredients to the meringue, beating slowly. Stir in 3/4 cups chocolate chips and the luke warm chocolate. 

The mixture is ready once it is fully combined and very stiff! 

Pour 1/2 cup to 1 cup of icing sugar into a bowl and then get ready to get your hands dirty! Actually. Really very dirty. The dough came off on my sister and I's warm hands as we rolled the it into medium sized balls...

Prepare yourself!


Roll the dough in your hands into little balls (no matter what size cookie you want, just make sure you are consistent!) and then roll them into the bowl of icing sugar. Cover completely with sugar! The more the better, as long as it is actually sticking to the cookie. 


The crinkle effect will be most a effective if the cookies are fully coated in icing sugar pre-baking, because once the cookies puff up in the oven you will want the difference between the icing sugar white and the dark chocolate black to be distinctive!


Like this!


Just like the bear! 


Don't they look fabulous? And all bear references aside, these cookies were my best reviewed yet! They have a deep rich flavour, and look slightly more sophisticated than a lot of what I have been dishing out these days. i.e. oreos and caramel galore. 
My little sister was at first turned off by the crusty outside... until she met the inside and then it was like her little secret and she didn't want anyone else to have one. 


And I can't blame her for that. If I hadn't impressed myself so much with these little guys then I might have kept them a secret too!

But I was never much good at being modest.

Especially when you make something that is FANTASTIC.


Will I be making them again?

Is that even a question? 

No comments:

Post a Comment